MILWAUKEE (AP) — Milwaukee police Chief Alfonso Morales says a body found along a southern Minnesota highway is believed to be that of a missing 2-year-old girl whose father is accused of killing her mother in Milwaukee.
Morales told reporters Saturday that an off-duty public works employee saw something along Highway 218 north of Austin, Minnesota, as he was driving home Friday night.
The chief says a child's body was found inside a blanket off the shoulder of the highway.
Morales says the body is believed to be that of 2-year-old Noelani Robinson.
He says an autopsy has not been conducted yet, but authorities believe the girl "had been there for quite some time."
MILWAUKEE (AP) — A body found in Minnesota matches the description of a 2-year-old girl whose mother was killed in Milwaukee this past week, a spokesman for the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension said Saturday.
Bureau spokesman Bruce Gordon told The Associated Press the body has been preliminarily identified as Noelani Robinson.
Gordon said the body was found in Steele County, Minnesota, south of Minneapolis. The Minnesota agency is waiting for formal identification and preliminary autopsy results from the medical examiner, he said in an email.
Authorities had asked "the entire nation" for help finding Noelani after the arrest of the girl's father, who is suspected of fatally shooting her mother in Milwaukee.
Milwaukee police Chief Alfonso Morales said Friday that the suspect, Dariaz Higgins, had been providing police with information on the whereabouts of his daughter, but that it all had "proven to be untrue."
Higgins, of Miami, is accused of fatally shooting 24-year-old Sierra Robinson and wounding one of her friends Monday. Police arrested him Wednesday and prosecutors have charged him with first-degree murder.
Prosecutors said in charging documents that Higgins traveled to Milwaukee to give Noelani to Robinson, but it was unknown if Higgins actually brought her with him. Police said Higgins was Robinson's pimp and they had been romantically involved but were no longer together. Robinson left Noelani with Higgins when she moved to Las Vegas last month but wanted her back, authorities said.
According to charging documents, Higgins, Robinson, and her friend spent time driving around together in Milwaukee doing drugs Monday, before Higgins took them to an apartment building where he told them Noelani was. Prosecutors said Higgins shot Robinson and her friend when they got out of the car.
Morales had suggested Noelani could be in the hands of human traffickers, but declined to provide details for why investigators believed that, other than to say "that's the world that these two individuals lived in, the victim and the suspect."
- Dead body found in southern MN ditch believed to be missing 2-year-old Noelani Robinson
- Community honoring Noelani Robinson, 2-year-old who was found dead in southern MN ditch
- Search for Noelani Robinson 'a game' to suspect in case
- Minnesota BCA: Girl whose body was found in southern MN ditch died as result of homicide
- Dead body found in southern Rochester creek
- Blooming Prairie reacts to dead body found in ditch
- Authorities: Hunter found dead under tree stand in southern MN
- Sheriff: 138 pounds of marijuana found hidden in containers in southern MN ditch
- Lawyer objects to physical restraints on homicide suspect connected to 2-year-old found in southern MN
- Body found in southern Minnesota