NORTHWOOD, Iowa – Authorities say it took an armored vehicle and tear gas to end a standoff that shut down Interstate 35 in North Iowa Tuesday.
Moses Francisco Cruz, 53, is being held in the Worth County Jail on $12,000 bond and is facing charges of eluding, possession of a firearm by a felon, and interference with official acts. Iowa law enforcement says it was notified around 12:48 pm Tuesday about a chase out of Minnesota on I-35 after a driver was seen pointing a gun at other motorists.
An Iowa officer says a car matching the same description as the Minnesota chase was clocked doing 95 miles per hour before stop sticks brought it to a halt at the 214 mile marker on I-35 in Worth County. The highway was blocked off and court documents state the driver, identified as Cruz, clearly displayed a handgun several times.
Authorities say after a standoff of around an hour, Cruz slowly began to drive south until he was stopped by an armored vehicle near mile marker 212. Cruz reportedly continued to refuse to follow law enforcement instructions and kept displaying the handgun.
Officers say they put tear gas into Cruz’ vehicle and that’s when he finally surrendered and was taken into custody. Court documents state a handgun was found in Cruz’ vehicle with a loaded magazine but no bullet in the chamber.
Authorities say Cruz’ fingerprints were sent to the FBI and that it appears he has commonly given false names and other information to law enforcement throughout his life.
- Authorities: Standoff in Worth County ended by armored vehicle and tear gas
- Tear gas used as authorities execute search warrant in Rochester
- Two-vehicle crash in Worth County
- Vehicle thefts reported in Worth County
- One-vehicle rollover in Worth County
- Authorities ID man killed in Worth County tractor-train collision
- Authorities: DNA results in sex abuse charge in Worth County
- Rochester man arrested after tear gas use pleads not guilty
- Austin man arrested for stolen vehicle in Worth County.
- Stranded vehicle towing starts Tuesday in Worth County