OSKALOOSA, Iowa (AP) — A south-central Iowa sheriff says a garbage truck driver was killed when he got caught by his truck's compactor mechanism.
The Mahaska County Sheriff's Office said in a news release that deputies and medics were sent late Tuesday morning to a rural location a few miles east of Oskaloosa to check a report about the man. They discovered that he'd already died. He was identified as 39-year-old Robert Evans, of Oskaloosa.
Sheriff Russ Van Renterghem said Wednesday that Evans had stopped the truck on the rural road, climbed up the frame to a spot between the cab top and the compactor and then was caught and crushed by the mechanism. An autopsy was ordered.
A spokesman for his employer, Midwest Sanitation & Recycling, didn't immediately return a call from The Associated Press.
- Authorities: Iowa man died after getting stuck in garbage truck
- Iowa officials say person stuck in grain bin died
- Authorities: Iowa man died after collision with firetruck
- Authorities say Iowa man dies after being pinned by machine
- Authorities say Cresco man died in NE Iowa snowmobile accident
- Authorities say Iowa man trapped under trailer died
- Authorities: Man died when tractor rolled in northwest Iowa
- Properly placing your garbage bins
- Iowa authorities say boy died after being pinned beneath mower
- Authorities: Iowa boy, 2, died after ingesting woman's medicine