AUSTIN, Minn. - The community of Austin is one step closer to a new 105,000 square foot rec center.
The new facility will feature a warm water therapy pool, a teen center, and an indoor playground, among other features.
Gymnasts Reese Norton and Chelsey Collins are most excited for the new gymnastics center.
"I'm excited because we get a new gymnastics gym and it'll have air conditioning which will really help in the summer and we get more space which will help," explains Norton.
"And inside the gym there's gonna be like built-in kind of things," adds Collins.
Norton and Collins were a part of the groundbreaking ceremony, along with other local youth and community members.
More than $36M were raised for the facility, with the Hormel Foundation, Hormel Foods, and community members being the largest contributors.
The new center is expected to open its doors at the end of 2019.
To check out some artist renderings of the future facility, click here for Vision 2020's website.
- Austin community breaks ground on new rec center
- Another big donation to Austin rec center
- Fundraising complete for Austin Rec Center project
- Big grant for new Austin rec center
- $3 million raised for new Austin rec center
- $500,000 donation to the Austin rec center project
- Ronald McDonald House breaking ground
- Austin community honors Veterans Day
- Chatfield breaks ground on new aquatic facility
- RCTC breaks ground on new project