AUSTIN, Minn.- Today many people are celebrating the signing of the U.S. Constitution.
It’s also welcoming week in Austin, a week of bringing together immigrants, refugees and residents.
Today the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota and the Austin Area Minority Business Project hosted a day to celebrate the journey of new citizens in Austin.
“You don’t have to change your culture to be an American,” said the Mayor of Austin Tom Stiehm.
Today has a special meaning for people like Maria Santoyo.
She and her husband moved from Mexico over 10 years ago for a better life here in and became a US citizen earlier this year.
“It's like ugh you feel so happy and proud,” she said.
This isn’t all that’s happening in Austin.
Throughout the week there’s an ethnic business tour and training that looks to diversify local government.
- Austin celebrates Citizenship day
- Austin Celebrates Tourism Week
- Austin community honors Veterans Day
- Students celebrating Reformation Day
- Rochester celebrates Arbor Day.
- Celebrating Memorial Day indoors
- President proposing path to citizenship for "Dreamers"
- Minnesota to sue over census citizenship question
- No citizenship question on 2020 Census
- President: No citizenship question on census forms