AUSTIN, Minn. – Several homes are evacuated after a natural gas leak Friday morning.
The Austin Police Department says excavating equipment struck a natural gas line in the 500 block of 1st Street SW a little before 10 am.Officers evacuated the homes and shut down traffic and Austin Utilities was called to turn off and repair the gas line.
Nick Thompson woke this morning to the smell of natural gas.
"My downstairs neighbor was pounding on my door and he was like the fire department is here and we need to evacuate the area."
Thompson had an idea of what was wrong.
"You can smell gas in the air," Thompson said.
That smell was coming from this broken pipe.
The City of Austin was excavating a sanitary sewer line when they accidentally hit the pipe.
As precaution residents were asked to leave their homes.
Others that were at work stopped by worried to check up on their pets.
Austin Fire Chief Jim Mccoy says it could have been a lot scarier.
"Every year we get a few gas line hits by construction crews this is a larger line so this isn't very common at all,"
It took crews about an hour before the problem was fix.
- Austin block evacuated after gas leak
- Gas leak forces evacuation of Austin furniture store
- UPDATE: Evacuation for Northwood gas leak ends
- Gas leak forces temporary evacuations in Northwood
- Rochester apartments evacuated after gas leak
- 6 houses evacuated due to gas leak in Mason City
- Gas leak closes Highway 122
- Gas leak in Mason City
- Gas leak in NW Rochester
- Gas leak shuts down Rochester road