MASON CITY, Iowa - Each month, KIMT News 3 and our Giving Your Best partners, Diamond Jo Casino and First Citizens Bank, recognize someone who goes above and beyond to give back to their community.
Our August Volunteer of the Month award goes to the North Iowa Community Emergency Response Team, known as CERT.
"CERT is a group of volunteers that help the community in different events. disasters, first aid, whenever we're needed," said CERT volunteer Nathan Hunt.
When severe flooding devastated parts of north Iowa less than two months ago, CERT sprung into action. They put in more than 1,000 hours helping those impacted by the floods, including assisting with the evacuation of the Autumn Park Apartments.
That's just one of the many reasons Cerro Gordo County Emergency Management Coordinator Steve O'Neil nominated CERT for the award.
"they're an incredible group. I ask them to do something and they do. And then they come back and ask what else they can do," O'Neil said.
"It's a pretty big surprise, we weren't expecting it. We don't do it for recognition, we do it to help people," said Hunt.
"I've always liked to help people. It's a good organization," said CERT volunteer Tip Piper.
"We all have a common focus and that's helping people in the community when they need it the most," said CERT volunteer Bob Harris.
If you'd like to nominate someone for Volunteer of the Month, click here: http://www.kimt.com/community/giving-your-best-volunteer-of-the-month/
- August Volunteer of the Month
- November GYB Volunteers of the Month.
- December GYB Volunteer of the Month
- March GYB Volunteer of the Month
- April GYB Volunteers of the Month
- February Giving Your Best Volunteer of the Month
- May GYB Volunteer of the Month: Matthew Reed
- June Giving Your Best Volunteer of the Month
- July Giving Your Best Volunteer of the Month
- October Giving Your Best Volunteer of the Month