CLOSINGS: View Closings

Lightning strike blamed for gas leak and fire in Rochester (with photos)

There was damage to the home and no injuries were reported.

Posted: Apr. 11, 2019 8:19 AM
Updated: Apr. 11, 2019 1:08 PM

ROCHESTER, Minn. – A lightning strike toppled a tree Thursday morning.

The Rochester Fire Department was called to the 200 block of Northview Lane around 7:44 am and found a tree fallen onto a house and a fire near the base of the tree. Firefighters investigated and discovered the fire was being fed by a ruptured natural gas line.

Because there was no risk to the public, the fire was allowed to burn until Minnesota Energy Resources officials arrived to shut off the flow of gas. The Fire Department says that allowed firefighters to know where the gas leak was and to prevent flammable gas from building up, creating additional risk.

Gas had to be shut off to several homes and air quality checks were performed inside the affected home and neighboring homes. A damaged window was also covered with temporary plastic sheeting to keep the weather out.

No injuries were reported and about $10,000 in damage was done, but firefighters say the affected home is structurally intact and livable.

Rochester Public Utilities and Gold Cross Ambulance assisted at the scene.

Article Comments

Mason City
39° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 34°
Feels Like: 32°
Albert Lea
37° wxIcon
Hi: 49° Lo: 35°
Feels Like: 33°
43° wxIcon
Hi: 52° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 40°
Charles City
39° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 35°
Feels Like: 34°
41° wxIcon
Hi: 48° Lo: 33°
Feels Like: 35°
Tracking a chillier start to your Friday before a sunny warm up!
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video


Paying attention to First Responders


Solidarity ride


Hammer complex groundbreaking


Tracking Clearing Clouds and a Great Friday


Drug Court Graduation


IA bill considers stun guns on college campuses


WWI artifacts donated in Mitchell County


Rider Appreciation Day at Rochester City Lines


Ronald McDonald House seeks donations


Mausoleum repairs

Community Events