BREAKING NEWS Olmsted County with 2nd coronavirus-related death as statewide toll hits 29 Full Story
CLOSINGS: View Closings

Apartment fire in Rochester put out by sprinkler

Still around $20,000 in damage.

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 8:13 PM

ROCHESTER, Minn. – A kitchen fire has caused an estimated $20,000 in damage.

The Rochester Fire Department says it was called to Oak Ridge Apartments on North Broadway around 5:22 pm Friday and found fire alarms sounding and light smoke coming from a second floor unit. The flames were put out by a sprinkler head in the apartment before firefighters arrived, but crews cleared out the smoke with ventilation fans and cleaned up the water to prevent any more damage.

No one was injured but heat and flames damaged kitchen cabinets, an exhaust hood, and a stove top. There was also water damage from the sprinkler.

The fire is being blamed on combustible material near the stovetop and is being called an accident.

Article Comments

Mason City
Clear
48° wxIcon
Hi: 55° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 43°
Albert Lea
Clear
52° wxIcon
Hi: 53° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 52°
Austin
Clear
52° wxIcon
Hi: 55° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 52°
Charles City
Clear
52° wxIcon
Hi: 55° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 52°
Rochester
Clear
47° wxIcon
Hi: 52° Lo: 37°
Feels Like: 43°
Lovely weekend ahead
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Cleaning frequently touched surfaces

Image

Passing out palms

Image

Rochester Fire Department taking extra precautions

Image

Stewartville football star gives back to community

Image

Coronas Tacos Undaunted by Name

Image

FEMA suggests only buying groceries for a week

Image

Rochester Fire Department using PPE

Image

Takeout liquor is just a call away in Iowa

Image

A closer look at the CDC recommendation to wear a mask

Image

Stewartville first responder suspension

Community Events