MASON CITY, Iowa- Every minutes around 20 people physically abused by an intimate partner in the US. That’s according to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. But this month is dedicated to sexual assault awareness in an effort to change that number.
Maggie Wegener of Mason City is one example of a success story after she says she was abused by someone close to her. That’s why she is walking in the Annual Crisis Intervention Take Back the Night event.
She says she is lucky to be alive after her abuser stalked, harassed and physically harmed her.
Wegener wants people to know there is help out there for those who need it and hopes others can learn from her story.
“Trust your gut, listen to your instincts and if something happens, tell somebody,” she said. “Tell law enforcement, tell Crisis Intervention there’s a lot of advocates there that will listen.”
- Annual Take Back the Night
- Byron's annual Field of Flags is back
- Storm Team 3: Storms fire back up Sunday night
- 39th Annual Home Show
- 4th annual RestoreFest
- 42nd Annual Great American Smokeout
- 22nd Annual Model Railroad Show
- 5th Annual Cardboard Sled Race
- Rochesterfest has annual 'Button Kickoff'
- 14th Annual Breast Cancer Walk