MASON CITY, Iowa - Five Star Cooperative says an andhydrous ammonia leak at its Mason City location was caused when a valve was hit and sheared off Tuesday morning.
The co-op says the tank has been capped and contained. No injuries have been reported due to the leak.
Five Star says it wants to thank local emergency teams for their "swift response and care for the community and our employees."
Authorities evacuated the site at 16682 245th Street after the leak was reported. Sheriff's deputies told KIMT News 3 that wind and weather conditions worked in their favor in dealing with this dangerous chemical release.
How exactly the tank valve was hit has not been specified.
- Busted valve blamed for anhydrous leak in Mason City
- Water valve repair to close Mason City road
- Gas leak in Mason City
- Gas leak closes Mason City street
- 6 houses evacuated due to gas leak in Mason City
- Road conditions blamed for 2-vehicle crash north of Mason City
- Three plead not guilty in Mason City drug bust
- Man pleads not guilty in Mason City drug bust
- UPDATE: Service being restored after gas leak in southwest Mason City
- Crews on scene after reported gas leak in southwest Mason City