ALGONA, Iowa – The superintendent of the Algona Community School District has resigned.
Marty Fonley submitted his letter of resignation to the Board of Education on Friday. In the letter, Fonley refers to what he calls “negative insinuations and false statements” made about him. “I have been asked repeatedly why I don’t respond or refute the accusations,” he writes. “In my opinion, as a leader and as a professional there is no value in engaging these types of comments.”
Fonley’s resignation comes after the June 11 meeting of the Algona Board of Education where former elementary principal Stacy Mueller spoke about her position being eliminated and complained about being treated unfairly.
The Board of Education is scheduled to consider the process of replacing Fonley at their Monday night meeting.
Fonley's letter of resignation is below.
- Algona superintendent resigns
- Abduction attempt reported in Algona
- Local union gives to Algona Manor residents
- Algona police asking for public's help after string of thefts
- Algona man pleads not guilty to sending, receiving naked images
- Algona science teacher selected for national STEM grant
- Algona man admits to asking a teen for nude photos
- Algona man sentenced for exchanging nude images with a teen
- Four area teams ranked in Class A; Algona with two ranked teams
- Forest City vs. Algona comes down to the wire; 6 north Iowa girls BB teams ranked