BREAKING NEWS Names released in double fatal wrong-way crash Full Story

Carbon monoxide warning for Rochester residents

Firefighters found carbon monoxide in the atmosphere surrounding the building.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 5:44 PM

ROCHESTER, Minn. - A carbon monoxide detector helped save two dozen Rochester families. It happened around 10:55 a.m. on the 700 blocks of First Avenue SW. According to the Rochester Fire Department, the responding crew noticed two large generators were running on the outside of a building where construction was taking place. Firefighters found carbon monoxide in the atmosphere surrounding the building. They also detected the gas throughout the fifth floor of the building. Captain Caleb Feine was one of the first responders on the scene.

“A really big shout out to the construction company who was working there,” Feine said. “They knew they were gonna be using these big generators and they provided the tenants with carbon monoxide detectors just in case and one of those detectors was why we were notified in the first place.

This led to the firefighters evacuating the building.  Once the department ventilated the building, tenants were allowed back inside.Feine says that in homes with largely electric appliances, carbon monoxide detectors aren't mandatory. But, he says everyone should have one. He adds the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be hard to detect.

"Nausea vomiting, dizziness drowsiness muscle fatigue all those are signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide positioning it's just like the flu,” Feine said.

Feine says the best place for a carbon monoxide detector is in your bedroom.

Article Comments

Mason City
Clear
11° wxIcon
Hi: 12° Lo: 9°
Feels Like: -4°
Albert Lea
Clear
10° wxIcon
Hi: 7° Lo: 8°
Feels Like: -2°
Austin
Clear
12° wxIcon
Hi: 10° Lo: 12°
Feels Like: 1°
Charles City
Broken Clouds
12° wxIcon
Hi: 15° Lo: 8°
Feels Like: -1°
Rochester
Clear
wxIcon
Hi: 5° Lo: 7°
Feels Like: -6°
A bit of snow Thursday and Friday morning
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Luft legacy continues on the mat

Image

SAW: Greta Freed from John Marshall

Image

One person dead after shooting

Image

Lego competition teaches fun in robotics

Image

Names released in double fatal I-35 crash

Image

Historic Covered Bridge reopens

Image

School Cracks Down on Youth Vaping

Image

HUGE Toys for Tots Donation

Image

Ambulance Service Volunteers Needed

Image

Emerging Farmer Listening Session

Community Events