SEVERE WX : Excessive Heat Warning View Alerts

Mom warns others after kids sent to hospital with chlorine poisoning

Article Image

A family visiting Nashville said their vacation ended at the hospital after their kids became sick with chlorine poisoning.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 7:54 AM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) -- A family visiting Nashville said their vacation ended at the hospital after their kids became sick with chlorine poisoning.

"We were all really scared," Kathy Hartman said. Hartman video chatted with NewsChannel 5 while she and her family were driving home to Chicago. She told me her three kids, along with her niece and two nephews, were playing at the indoor pool at the Residence Inn at Opryland when she noticed something strange.

"Everybody was coughing and experiencing respiratory complaints," Hartman said.

She said after some time went by she called her pediatrician.

"He said right away, 'this is chlorine poisoning, you need to go and take these kids to the emergency room right away,'" Hartman added.

She said she took the kids to Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt. Hartman said the chlorine was in the air, and said a worker at the Residence Inn admitted the pool room's dehumidifier was broken.

"He said, 'look, the dehumidifier in the pool broke and our hotel was booked solid so we made the call to say it was safe to swim, but that was the wrong call,'" Hartman said.

But a manager at the Residence Inn denied the allegations over the phone on Wednesday. He said the chlorine levels in the pool area were cleared by a local company and by the Nashville Fire Department.

In a text message, Nashville Fire Department Public Information Officer Joseph Pleasant said, "the levels for chlorine were in the permissible range for being airborne however there should not have been any readings at all so the pool is closed."

Hartman said she hopes the story serves as a warning to other parents.

"You think you're safe in an indoor pool environment that's run by a hotel, but look for the warning signs," she said. "Chlorine poisoning is real and its serious"

According to the Centers for Disease Control , they include coughing, chest tightness, nausea and burning sensations in your throat, nose or eyes. In extreme cases it can cause vomiting and fluid in your lungs.

Article Comments

Mason City
Clear
81° wxIcon
Hi: 93° Lo: 75°
Feels Like: 88°
Albert Lea
Scattered Clouds
82° wxIcon
Hi: 93° Lo: 73°
Feels Like: 88°
Austin
Scattered Clouds
82° wxIcon
Hi: 93° Lo: 75°
Feels Like: 88°
Charles City
Clear
81° wxIcon
Hi: 91° Lo: 76°
Feels Like: 88°
Rochester
Few Clouds
81° wxIcon
Hi: 90° Lo: 72°
Feels Like: 89°
Another round of dangerous heat and potentially dangerous storms for Friday
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Motocross comes to Millville

Image

Robotics demonstrations at family fun night

Image

Auditor comes to town

Image

New aquatic center being considered in Byron

Image

North Iowa Fair on a hot night

Image

Dealing with rising water levels

Image

Charles City downs Clear Lake; advances in 3A baseball districts

Image

Working in the Heat

Image

Search Continues for Missing Man

Image

I-90 Bridge construction frustration

Community Events