ROCHESTER, Minn. - 4th St. SW is a busy road and it's about to get even busier with construction.
The construction is happening from 1st Avenue SW to 6th Avenue SW. It's implementing a number of features helping bikers, drivers, and walkers.
As a designated bicycle route by the city of Rochester, it will help keep bikers safe by adding a protected bike lane between the curb and parked cars, with a 3 foot buffer. It will also add 'enhanced markings' on the pavement to make cyclists more visible to drivers.
Bikers tell KIMT they're on board with the changes.
"Absolutely, we got to do things for community, we got to do something for the bikers. Everyone that does a little bit of something, you got to do something like that," Jeff Maxson of Rochester said.
"Anything that they can do to encourage bicyclists to use their bikes and to feel safe doing so is money well spent," Sam Simmons added.
For pedestrians, sidwalks will be widened and some crosswalks will have a raised median to provide refuge for people walking. Cady Gansen often walks around 4th St SW in Rochester and said it can be confusing manuvering around cars.
"When there's traffic its kind of a mess around here with cars lined up, so it'd be nice to have medians," she said. "It has been kind of awkward with the four way stop, who gets to go when and making sure I'm not in people's way."
Traffic signals will be replaced at the intersection of 4th St SW and 3rd Ave SW.
All together the project comes to about $5.4 million. Funding for the project is from local utility, State Aid and State DMC funds, as well as DMC Sales Tax.
People tell KIMT the project is worth the price.
"Yeah definitely, I think that improving roadways, it's beneficial to the city as a whole," Gansen said.
"I would rather the city be pushing forward and trying to make things better, and inconviencing me now as opposed to 20 years," Joshua Akinsanya said.
The construction will impact a number of bus routes. Changes can be found here.
The project is scheduled to be completed by the end of October 2018.
- 4th St. SW reconstruction project underway
- 4th Street SW undergoing reconstruction
- Iowa 122 reconstruction project begins
- Rochester International Airport planning $67M reconstruction project
- City workers looking to improve 4th Street SW
- Neighbors react to 18th Ave NW reconstruction project
- Looking ahead: Open House #3 for North Broadway Reconstruction Project
- $5M downtown Rochester construction project nearly underway
- Damage assessment underway after St. Paul explosion
- Evacuations taking place in parts of SW Mason City