LITTLE ROCK, Iowa (AP) — Authorities in northwestern Iowa say a 4-year-old boy has died after being hit by a pickup truck on a rural road.
The Sioux City Journal reports that the accident happened Monday afternoon north of Little Rock, Iowa. Lyon County Sheriff Stewart Vander Stoep says the boy was taken to a hospital, where he died. Authorities have not released the boy's name.
Officials say a 77-year-old man driving the pickup slowed to about 10 mph when he spotted two utility vehicles on the side of the road with a young child behind them and two adults working in a ditch. Investigators say as the pickup passed the two utility vehicles, a second child stepped from the north ditch onto the roadway and in front of the truck's path.
- 4-year-old boy hit on rural northwest Iowa road dies
- Northwest Iowa sheriff's deputy dies after crash
- Heavy rain hits central and northwest Iowa
- Propane explosion in northwest Iowa
- Woman dies after being struck by train in northwest Iowa
- Man dies after tractor rolls over him in northwest Iowa
- Authorities: Man died when tractor rolled in northwest Iowa
- Iowa superintendent cautions rural emergency response delays
- Rural Iowa communities face housing shortage
- NE Iowa woman pleads guilty in 4-year-old daughter's death