MASON CITY, Iowa - Hundreds of families and fishing lovers came out to the 2018 Winter Family Ice Fishing Day at Lester Milligan Park.
The Mason City Recreation Department and the Iowa Department of Natural Resources hosted the event.
This year, 2500 rainbow trout were stocked in the lake and people were able to win door prizes like fishing gear.
Wyatt Stark attends every year with his family and explains why they enjoy the event so much.
“We caught some fish and it’s really fun and it’s kind of cold but I’m strong and I can handle it."
The event was free, but the anglers had to have licenses in order to fish.
- 2018 Winter Ice Fishing Day
- Ice fishing for Ducks Unlimited
- New ice fishing regulations coming this winter in MN
- Investigation into Minnesota ice fishing tournament
- Warm temperatures not stopping ice fishing
- Stay off the ice, not thick enough for ice fishing
- A chilly day for fishing at Mason City's Family Ice Fishing Derby
- Clear Lake now covered in ice, and it means ice fishing isn't far off
- "Take Your Kid Fishing"