KIMT NEWS 3 - The fishing opener is a long-held tradition, typically falling on Mother's Day weekend in Minnesota.
With a late ice-out on some Northern lakes, anglers have been itching to reel in a big cath.
The annual Minnesota Governor's Fishing Opener was held in the central part of the state at Green Lake in Spicer, Minn.
Every year it's in a different location, highlighting a local community as a hot spot for tourism.
“We had a great time," Gov. Dayton said, "I caught three bass, which made my whole day, made my last Fishing Opener very special.”
- 2018 Minnesota Governor's Fishing Opener: 'Made my last Fishing Opener very special'
- Fishing Opener 2019: Anglers hit the water on Minnesota Governor's Fishing opener
- Less than 5 months away from Minnesota Governor's Fishing Opener
- Albert Lea Lakes Area to host 2019 Governor's Fishing Opener
- Volunteers needed for Governor's fishing opener in Albert Lea
- Albert Lea businesses ready for governor's fishing opener
- Fishing Opener 2019: Walleye season kicks off in Minnesota
- Fishing Opener 2019: Visitors take dredging tours
- 2018 Winter Ice Fishing Day
- Investigation into Minnesota ice fishing tournament