BLOOMINGTON, Minn. (AP) — A stabbing at one of the nation's largest malls has left two people injured and shoppers who were waiting to see Santa Claus shocked following what police call an "interrupted theft."
Police say the incident happened Sunday evening in the dressing room area of the Mall of America's Macy's. Police say one victim was stabbed after confronting a man attempting to steal his belongings from the dressing room. The second victim was stabbed after intervening.
A 20-year-old man is in custody. The victims were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Maddie Schwieters tells KARE-TV she was in line to see Santa when she ran toward the commotion nearby and saw two people on the floor. The 16-year-old calls the incident "horrific." Police say shoppers weren't in any danger. Macy's closed early but the rest of the mall stayed open.
- 2 stabbed at Minnesota's Mall of America; man in custody
- A man is in custody after witnesses say he threw a child from a third floor Mall of America balcony
- Wanted Minnesota man taken into custody in Waverly
- Man wanted in north Iowa, southern Minnesota taken into custody
- Feds: Man charged in Minnesota stabbing was in US illegally
- Mall of America owners seek to add water park
- Child attack suspect had previous Mall of America arrests
- Chief: Boy thrown from Mall of America balcony being treated
- Court documents: Man was 'looking for someone to kill' at Mall of America
- Man taken into custody in connection to last week's Rochester stabbing