MASON CITY, Iowa – Law enforcement helped evacuate two Mason City apartment complexes Friday.
Apartments at Autumn Park and Chelsea Creek, both located on S. Pierce Ave., were evacuated as more than 5 ½ inches of rain fell in Mason City.
Storm coverage: Flooding photos in north Iowa
Storm coverage: Residents in Manly, Nora Springs asked to reduce water usage
Storm coverage: Flood warning in effect until Saturday
Storm coverage: Drone footage captures flooding
Storm coverage: 3 rescued from Mason City apartment complex
Storm coverage: 2 Mason City apartment complexes evacuated
Brinkley said they are asking residents of those buildings to remain at an emergency shelter or their current location until the threat of flooding has passed. A flood warning is in effect until Saturday afternoon.
Emergency shelter for displaced residents is available at the Salvation Army, and barricades are still in place on 12th St. NE between Illinois and Florida Ave.
“There is still water over the road and in some places, the shoulder has been washed away,” Brinkley said. “Due to forecasted rains, it will not be possible to repair the shoulder and the road is expected to be closed for the weekend.”
Brinkley credited the way Mason City adapted after the 2008 flood as to why more people weren’t displaced Friday.
“I believe the city has done a good job with their buyout program and eliminating problem properties,” he said. “We really don’t have a lot of home evacuation stuff, which makes our job easier in a crisis moment.”
Rob Meyer, who recently moved in with a friend at Autumn Park this week, echoes Brinkley's assessment.
"It was awesome. Jeez, everybody was out there. They got everybody out safe, and they did a really good job. They did," Meyer said.
Because of his location, Meyer notes that it was wise for both of them to get out.
"We're on the first floor, so we were right...we are on the west side of the building. The water was roughly 20 feet away from the back part of his apartment," Meyer added.
- 2 Mason City apartment complexes evacuated due to flooding
- 3 rescued from flooded apartment complex by Mason City Fire Department
- 6 houses evacuated due to gas leak in Mason City
- Man charged for melting locks, stealing change from laundry machine at Mason City apartment complex
- Drone video captures flooding in Mason City
- Mason City Flood Response Center opens
- Rochester woman treated after apartment complex assault
- City addresses flooding issues in two Mason City neighborhoods
- Rochester apartments evacuated after gas leak
- Evacuations taking place in parts of SW Mason City