BARRON, Wis. (AP) — Authorities searched Monday for a 13-year-old girl they believe is in danger after her parents were found dead in their western Wisconsin home.
Deputies went to the home in Barron after dispatchers received a 911 call from an unknown person at around 1 a.m. Monday, Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said. He said they found the bodies of Jayme Closs' parents, who were later identified by the sheriff's department as 56-year-old James Closs and his 46-year-old wife, Denise Closs. Fitzgerald also said there had been gunshots, but he stopped short of saying that's how the couple died.
"At the end of the day, I want a 13-year-old here safe and sound. That's our goal. That's our only goal right now," Fitzgerald said at a news briefing.
Investigators don't have any leads or suspects, but they have enlisted the help of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the FBI, which has agents who specialize in missing children cases, the sheriff said. He said Jayme is not considered a suspect in her parents' deaths.
Deputies searched the area around the family's home with drones and infrared equipment, but they didn't find any clues as to her whereabouts. Fitzgerald said investigators are frustrated they haven't developed any leads and asked for the public's help with any information about what could have happened to the girl.
Officers also were at Jayme's middle school talking with her friends and acquaintances, hoping to develop some leads, officials said.
An Amber Alert was issued Monday for Jayme, although it did not include information about a suspect or vehicle.
Jayme is described as 5-feet (1.5 meters) tall and 100 pounds (45 kilograms), with strawberry-blond hair and green eyes.
Barron is about 80 miles (130 kilometers) northeast of Minneapolis.
- 13-year-old girl missing after parents found dead in Wisconsin
- Missing Wisconsin girl found alive
- Wisconsin man found guilty in deaths of Girl Scouts, parent
- UPDATE: Several items found during search for missing Wisconsin girl
- Hundreds search for missing Wisconsin girl
- Search for missing Wisconsin girl scaled back
- Volunteers join search for missing Wisconsin girl
- Sheriff says parents of missing Wisconsin girl were shot to death
- Missing Marshalltown teen found dead
- Missing Wisconsin girl's school will hold 'Gathering of Hope'