MASON CITY, Iowa- Road construction on the eastbound portion of Highway 122 is in full swing. Those lanes will likely remain closed until November.
Until then, traffic on the westbound side is head-to-head and causing headaches for drivers and business owners.
“The best option is to just try and get to Federal Avenue and turn down Fifth Street,” said Hardee’s Store Manager Jon Kittleson.
That’s the only way to get yourself a burger at the Highway 122 location right now.
Kittleson said they’ve had to start closing their doors earlier and reducing employee hours because their customer base is down around 30%.
He said they’ve been in touch with the city and the Iowa DOT but no luck.
“Right now we are kind of just at a stalemate,” he said. “We are kind of just getting the runaround from whoever is responsible for telling us whether they can at least remove some of the barricades so westbound traffic can turn in here.”
The Iowa DOT tells KIMT removing those blockades would cause more of a safety risk.
- 122 construction causing revenue problem for at least 1 Mason City business
- Construction on Federal Ave., Highway 122 in Mason City causing traffic headaches
- 122 project impacting local businesses
- Highway 122 construction safety changes being made
- Highway 122 construction project impacts so far
- Highway 122 project in Mason City 'a long time coming'
- Highway 122 reconstruction ending for the season in Mason City
- Gas leak closes Highway 122
- Iowa 122 reconstruction project begins
- Homeowners along 122 in Mason City gear up for repaving project