MASON CITY, Iowa – An arrest is made after a report of shots fired at a car in the eastern half of Mason City.
Police say they got a report of gunfire in the area of 8th Street and South Kentucky Avenue around 11:27 am Saturday. Officers arrived at the scene and were quickly directed by witnesses to Manual Alexander Zamorano, 18, who reportedly resisted arrest before being taken into custody.
Authorities say Zamorano fired four shots at a car or possibly someone near it. There were three people in the car but no one was hit by any bullets. Officers say they found a 9 mm handgun believed to be used in the shooting in a nearby flower bed.
Zamorano is charged with terrorism, two counts of assault of a police officer, interference with official acts, and possession of marijuana.
The Cerro Gordo County Sheriff’s Office, Iowa State Patrol, and Mason City Fire Department assisted in this case and Mason City police say they would also like to acknowledge the public’s help was very important in quickly reporting the incident and locating Zamorano.
Previous story below
MASON CITY, Iowa - One man is in custody after a report of shots fired Saturday in the area of Kentucky Ave. and Manor Dr.
KIMT spoke with property owner William Reid III, who said he was awoken by the sounds of several gunshots and a scream.
He said he looked out a window and saw several Hispanic males having a verbal altercation.
Moments later, authorities arrested a man.
A gun was found in the property owner’s garden behind the home.
Mason City police chief Jeff Brinkley said one person is in custody and other details are still being sorted out.
- UPDATE: Suspect identified in Mason City gunfire
- UPDATE: Motorcyclist in Mason City crash identified
- UPDATE: Police identify people in Mason City crash
- Authorities identify man shot in Mason City
- Gunfire reported in Austin
- Update: Mason City armed robbery suspect still on the loose
- UPDATE: Two-vehicle crash in Mason City
- UPDATE: Charge changed in Mason City killing
- UPDATE: Unattended candle caused Mason City fire
- UPDATE: Man jailed after Mason City crash