UPDATE: According to the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, 29-year-old Jihad Merrick, of Minneapolis, was the man shot and killed near Plainfield on Wednesday. The results of an autopsy are being sent to the Bremer County Attorney’s Office for review. The identity of the officer involved is still not being released at this time.
PLAINFIELD, Iowa – One man is dead after an officer-involved shooting on Highway 218 one mile south of Plainfield.
According to the Bremer County Sheriff’s Office, the Floyd County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call for a report of a subject with a gun pointed to his head at Love’s Truck Stop in Floyd at 8:31 p.m. Wednesday.
At 8:49 p.m., a Nashua police officer observed a vehicle traveling southbound on Highway 218 at 104 miles per hour.
The officer stopped the vehicle and observed the driver getting out and pointing a handgun to his head.
Officers from Bremer County, Chickasaw County, the Nashua PD and the Iowa State Patrol negotiated with the driver for about 40 minutes before the driver fired a shot from inside the car.
The driver resisted officer’s attempts to take him into custody and drove the vehicle forward striking an officer.
Two officers fired and struck the subject. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The condition and name of the officer struck by the car hasn't been released.
The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation is investigating this incident. The identity of the deceased is being withheld pending the notification of relatives.
- UPDATE: Name released in officer-involved shooting
- Names released of officers involved in fatal shooting
- Names released in Albert Lea officer-involved shooting
- UPDATE: Railroad officer involved in Mason City shooting
- Update: 1 dead after Albert Lea officer-involved shooting
- Council Bluffs police investigate officer-involved shooting
- UPDATE: Photos released in Franklin County shooting
- Investigation continues into Mason City shooting involving railroad police officer
- Minnesota attorney general announces working group on officer involved shootings
- UPDATE: Name released of person involved in Clear Lake vehicle vs. train crash