A 36-year-old US citizen has been reported missing in Costa Rica, according to the country's Judicial Investigation Department.
Carla Stefaniak was last seen in a suburb outside the capital of San Jose, authorities said.
Continents and regions
Southeastern United States
The last time anyone heard from Stefaniak was the night of November 27, according to police. Stefaniak and her sister-in-law, April Burton, were in the country to celebrate Stefaniak's birthday, and Burton had been traveling with her for six days.
Burton left the country November 27, and Stefaniak's flight back to Florida was scheduled for the day after. The two were texting via WhatsApp throughout the day that Tuesday, Burton said, until Stefaniak suddenly stopped responding to her messages that evening.
And the following day, Stefaniak did not board her flight home.
"That's when we knew that something's not right," Burton said. "You never want to think the worst, but that's where your mind goes to automatically. We're going on six days not hearing from her. That's kind of where we are right now."
Burton continued: "For almost six days to go by and no contact, she would have to have been abducted. She is very active on social media, and for her, on the day of her birthday, to never log in to any of those accounts, is just crazy."
A spokesperson from the State Department told CNN they are aware of the reports of a missing US citizen in Costa Rica.
"The US Department of State and our embassies and consulates abroad have no greater responsibility than the protection of US citizens overseas," the spokesperson said.
"When a US citizen is missing, we work closely with local authorities as they carry out their search efforts. We stand ready to provide all possible assistance to US citizens in need and to their families. Due to privacy considerations, we have no further comment."
Speaking to HLN on Monday, Burton urged anyone who might have information about her friend's whereabouts to come forward.
"She's a great person. So friendly, so bubbly, loves to travel, loves fashion, loves social media," she said.
CORRECTION: This story has been updated to correct the timing of Stefaniak's last communication and scheduled travel day.
- Florida woman visiting Costa Rica is missing
- Florida woman visiting Costa Rica for her birthday has gone missing
- Missing US woman's body found in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica overwhelmed with Nicaraguan asylum seekers
- Family of Carla Stefaniak, Florida woman killed in Costa Rica, sues Airbnb, property owner
- Authorities believe body found in Costa Rica is missing US woman
- Family identifies body found in Costa Rica as missing US woman
- URGENT - 10 US citizens killed in Costa Rica plane crash
- 10 Americans among 12 dead in Costa Rica plane crash
- Two US families die in Costa Rica plane crash