(CNN) -- A federal judge in California granted a preliminary injunction Wednesday temporarily blocking the government from terminating temporary protected status for hundreds of thousands of immigrants from Sudan, El Salvador, Haiti and Nicaragua. US District Judge Edward Chen said the government must maintain TPS and employment authorizations for TPS beneficiaries from those countries while a lawsuit challenging the government's decision to eliminate their protections continues. "It is hereby ORDERED THAT Defendants, their officers, agents, employees, representatives, and all persons acting in concert or participating with them, are ENJOINED AND RESTRAINED from engaging in, committing, or performing, directly or indirectly, by any means whatsoever, implementation and/or enforcement of the decisions to terminate TPS for Sudan, Haiti, El Salvador, and Nicaragua pending resolution of this case on the merit," Chen said in an order issued Wednesday evening. The judge's decision comes a week after a hearing in the case. It goes into effect immediately and is particularly welcome news for TPS recipients from Sudan, who were less than a month away from losing their protections. Temporary protected status, or TPS, protected migrants in the United States from countries that have been hit by dire conditions, such as epidemics, war or natural disasters. Previous administrations had opted to extend the protections for most of the countries involved every few years when they came up for review, but the Trump administration has moved toward ending protections for the majority of immigrants protected under the program, arguing that the initial conditions that prompted the protections are no longer present.
(CNN) -- A federal judge in California granted a preliminary injunction Wednesday temporarily blocking th...
Posted: Oct 4, 2018 10:20 AM
Updated: Oct 4, 2018 10:20 AM
- URGENT - Federal judge temporarily blocks Trump administration from ending TPS
- Federal judge temporarily blocks Trump administration from ending TPS
- URGENT -
- URGENT -
- Second federal judge blocks move to end DACA
- Federal judge blocks Trump administration from cutting Planned Parenthood program funds
- Judge blocks Trump administration plan to roll back DACA
- Judge blocks Trump administration from transferring American ISIS suspect
- Judge extends order blocking Trump administration asylum restrictions
- Judge temporarily blocks 15-week abortion ban in Mississippi
Scroll for more content...