At least one person died and 10 were injured, according to Indonesia's Disaster Management Agency (BNPB), after a series of earthquakes struck the island of Sulawesi on Friday afternoon.
Initial reports from the agency say dozens of buildings collapsed in Palu City in the Donggala region of Sulawesi.
Accidents, disasters and safety
Continents and regions
Evacuations are underway and people have been advised to remain alert and outside their homes.
A localized tsunami hit beaches in the cities of Palu and Donggala as a result of the tremors, according to the BNPB.
An early tsunami warning had been issued by the Indonesian meteorological agency, but was later lifted after the agency ascertained that the water had receded.
BNPB spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho shared a video on Twitter of the tsunami striking the coast at Palu. "Tsunami was about three meters high," Nugroho wrote.
Troops from the Indonesian National Armed Forces were being deployed to help deal with the effects of the earthquake and tsunami, according to the BNPB.
Writing on his official Twitter account Friday, Indonesian President Joko Widodo said that he was monitoring the situation and preparing for any post-earthquake eventualities.
"May our brothers and sisters remain calm and be safe," he wrote.
The first in a series of tremors was felt at 3 p.m. (4 a.m. ET) 35 miles north of Palu, according to the United States Geological Survey. The largest shock -- with a magnitude of 7.5 -- was detected 50 miles north of Palu, according to USGS.
The shaking of the 7.5-magnitude tremor was "severe" and the likely damage following the quake "moderate to heavy," the USGS said.
Local media reports that the airport at Palu has been closed until Saturday evening.
The quakes come a month after a trio of earthquakes hit several islands in the South Pacific and Indonesia, including Lombok, which is still recovering from the effects of an August 5 earthquake that killed more than 430 people.
- Earthquakes hit Indonesia, including 7.5 magnitude tremor near Palu
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake hits Indonesia
- Puerto Rico rocked by a magnitude 5.8 earthquake, with more tremors expected
- Sismo de magnitud 6,9 sacude Indonesia
- Indonesian island of Lombok hit by 5.9 magnitude tremor days after deadly quake
- Japan earthquake: Death toll rises after devastating tremor
- Magnitude 6.3 earthquake hits western Iran; hundreds injured
- Another earthquake hits Puerto Rico with 5.9 magnitude
- 4.4 magnitude earthquake shakes Bay Area awake
- Magnitude 7.2 earthquake jolts southeastern Mexico