It hasn't even been officially announced, but that hasn't stopped the "Misery" over Maroon 5 possibly headlining the Super Bowl LIII halftime show in music-rich Atlanta.
Variety reports, citing multiple sources, the band is set to be the big act for the NFL's biggest game, set for February 3.
Arts and entertainment
Business, economy and trade
Company activities and management
Continents and regions
Financial performance and reports
Football (American) events
Music and dance
Music groups and artists
Southeastern United States
Sports and recreation
Sports organizations and teams
The NFL released a statement punting on that.
"It's a Super Bowl tradition to speculate about the performers for the Pepsi Halftime Show," a league rep said. "We are continuing to work with (longtime sponsor) Pepsi on our plans but do not have any announcements to make on what will be another epic show."
But it was enough for Twitter to work itself in a tizzy.
People wondered why in Atlanta -- where, to quote uber-producer Jermaine Dupri's song "Welcome to Atlanta," "all the playas play" -- a choice with local ties hadn't been made.
"Atlanta, home of Outkast, T.I., Future, Ludacris, Usher, etc., gets Maroon 5 to play the damn Super Bowl," tweeted sports analyst Jake Reuse.
After all, the ATL is the city that birthed Southern fried hip hop.
One of its most famous ambassadors even had something to say about the reported Maroon 5 choice.
"Excuse me say what!?" rapper and Atlanta native Ludacris wrote in a caption of a photo he posted on Instagram of himself wearing an Atlanta Falcons jersey.
Should we take that to mean: Move Maroon 5, get out da way?
- Fans are upset over Maroon 5 Super Bowl halftime show report
- Maroon 5 will headline Super Bowl LIII halftime show with guests Big Boi and Travis Scott
- Why Rihanna rejected Super Bowl halftime invite
- Here for the super bowl halftime show with Justin Timberlake
- Adam Levine plays coy about Super Bowl Halftime show
- Justin Timberlake pays tribute to Prince during Super Bowl halftime
- School band shocks with halftime show stunt
- Confirmado: Maroon 5, Travis Scott y Big Boi protagonizarán el show del medio tiempo del Super Bowl LII
- Maroon 5 protagonizará el espectáculo del medio tiempo del Super Bowl
- Super Bowl Fast Facts