A man wearing a mask and hood entered a Wisconsin radio station early Sunday morning and opened fire on three disc jockeys in the broadcast studio, the station said.
WORT FM, a radio station based in Madison, said in a statement that witnesses said five gunshots were fired, injuring one DJ in the buttocks and shattering the glass between studios.
Business and industry sectors
Business, economy and trade
Crime, law enforcement and corrections
Crimes against persons
Continents and regions
Midwestern United States
The injured DJ was transported to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and later discharged, WORT said. No major injuries were reported and no arrest had been made in the case early Monday.
Police secured the area and kept DJs off the premises during the immediate investigation of the shooting, leaving WORT off the air until normal programming resumed at 9:38 a.m., the station said.
Madison Police said mid-morning Monday that detectives were becoming confident this was a targeted act against a specific person and was not a random act of violence against the media.
"We understand and appreciate the interest in this case beyond the local level but do not believe it has any relation to the current national dialogue on media," police said in a statement.
A motive for the shooting was still unknown and it's unclear how the assailant entered the building, WORT said.
David Devereaux-Weber, WORT Radio Board president, told CNN affiliate WKOW that the shooting felt targeted.
"Somebody who had a beef about something ... and we're not quite sure whether it's a personal issue or a music issue," he said.
The station thanked its supporters in a statement on Sunday.
"We want to thank everyone for the support. Already, the phone calls and concerned messages are flowing into the station," WORT said.
"Our station has faced many challenges over our 40 years on the Madison airwaves. And, as always, the community has responded to lend a hand. This is when the community in community radio shines."
- Masked man enters radio station studio and shoots DJ in Wisconsin
- Gunman opens fire on DJs at radio station
- Police: Wisconsin shooting suspect dead
- Cleveland radio station bans 'Baby, It's Cold Outside'
- DJ Cuppy, DJ Switch are among Nigeria's female DJs spinning against stereotypes
- China's Tiangong-1 space station could fall to Earth over Wisconsin
- Man allegedly chased woman into karate studio
- Several injured in Wisconsin office shooting
- The radio man without a voice
- 3 injured after shooting at Atlanta recording studio