Chi Chi always loved a good scratch, but her family now only has pictures to remember her after they say she died during a trip to Petco.
"I looked down and my dog is laying down on the ground covered in blood," Jennifer DeLeon said.
DeLeon took her dog to a vaccination clinic to Petco's Leominster location Tuesday. She said she went to shop for collars while Chi Chi got a rabies vaccine, but she and a friend she was with soon heard commotion.
"And they're like, 'we're sorry, but your dog's not going to make it,'" DeLeon said.
It's not clear what exactly happened, but in a statement, Petco said, "The health and safety of pets is always our top priority and we take this situation very seriously. We're conducting a thorough investigation to understand everything we can about Chi Chi's untimely passing."
The family had Chi Chi for eight years, and the loss is devastating and nothing they could've expected during a trip to a pet store.
"It's just a rabies shot, simple," DeLeon said. "She's had it done there before so I felt safe."
- Dog suddenly dies during trip to Petco for vaccination
- Leading cancer expert dies suddenly following routine yellow fever vaccination
- Maryland Democratic gubernatorial candidate dies suddenly
- Mars is suddenly more interesting
- Why stocks are suddenly plunging
- 11-year-old girl dies suddenly in her sleep
- 26-year-old writer dies suddenly after flu diagnosis
- Chaos at Newsweek: Top editors suddenly out
- Republicans are suddenly more optimistic about the midterms
- Dow futures tumble after Gary Cohn suddenly quits White House