Police have arrested a 15-year-old boy in connection with a deadly shooting at 32nd Street and Marshall Avenue.
The teen was arrested Thursday around noon and charged with second degree murder and use of a firearm by a person under 18. He is being held in juvenile detention.
The suspect will not be identified due to a Virginia State Code that prohibits law enforcement from releasing the identity of juveniles that are charged with a criminal offense.
The shooting happened on February 22. Police arrived to find a man suffering from gunshot wounds. The victim, 17-year-old Stephen Davis, Jr., was pronounced dead minutes later.
The homicide is the second homicide of the year in Newport News.
"One homicide is one too many. This is a 17-year-old kid. It's a sad situation. I've heard some family members in the background and just hearing their grief. It's tough. Hopefully, we solve this," said Officer Brandon Maynard.
The investigation remains ongoing.
- Newport News 15-year-old arrested in connection with February homicide
- Newport News Police seeking feedback from women
- Dozens march for end to violence in Newport News
- Two trains collide on CSX property in Newport News
- Manhunt comes to an end; two arrested in connection to toddler's homicide
- Man arrested in connection with mother's death
- Arrest made in connection to suspicious packages
- Polk County 15-year-old dies after collapsing during soccer game
- 15-year-old high school student attacked while walking to school
- The 15-year-old documenting Eastern Ghouta massacre with selfie videos