Nicole Kidman showed her Instagram followers the first glimpse of Meryl Streep in character from the second season of HBO's "Big Little Lies."
"First day on the set with Meryl and 'my' darling boys!" Kidman said in the photo caption.
Streep will play Mary Louise Wright, the mother-in-law of Kidman's character, Celeste Wright. The gig marks a rare TV role from Streep, who won an Emmy in 2004 for her part in the HBO miniseries "Angels in America."
HBO revealed in January that season two of "Big Little Lies" will pick up with Mary Louise arriving in Monterey, California, after becoming "concerned for the well-being of her grandchildren" following the death of her son, who was played by Alexander Skarsg-rd last season. Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern, Shailene Woodley and Zo- Kravitz are also returning for the new season.
Witherspoon posted the same photo to her Instagram with the caption, "Can't wait for y'all to see what we have in store!"
Both Witherspoon and Kidman also serve as executive producers on the series.
Robert De Niro threw his hat into the ring for a role on the show when talking to Entertainment Tonight at an event this week. The actor said he would be interested in playing Streep's husband on the series.
"Big Little Lies" debuted on HBO in February 2017 and has won eight Emmys and four Golden Globes.
HBO is owned by Time Warner, CNN's parent company.
A premiere date for the second season has not yet been announced.
- Nicole Kidman posts first look of Meryl Streep in 'Big Little Lies'
- Meryl Streep Fast Facts
- Meryl Streep joins 'Big Little Lies' Season 2
- Nicole Kidman: Marriage to Cruise protected me
- Meryl Streep responds to Rose McGowan's slam
- Nicole Kidman: Marriage to Tom Cruise protected me
- Nicole Kidman and more react to Golden Globe nominations
- Nicole Kidman in 'Destroyer' mostly just kills time
- Meryl Streep jokes Mariah Carey 'stole' her Globes seat
- Meryl Streep, more nominees react to Oscar nominations