"I'm totally opposed to domestic violence. And everybody here knows that," Trump said in the Oval Office. "I'm totally opposed to domestic violence of any kind. Everyone knows that. And it almost wouldn't even have to be said. So, now you hear it, but you all know."
Trump had remained silent on his views toward domestic violence as a controversy has swirled over former White House aide Rob Porter, who was accused of abusing his ex-wives.
Porter denies all the allegations against him.
Trump had repeatedly declined opportunities to speak out on the matter. Instead, he praised Porter's character and said accused abusers are owed due process.
- Trump: 'I'm totally opposed to domestic violence'
- Domestic violence legislation
- Domestic (Intimate Partner) Violence Fast Facts
- 'Bachelor' star charged with domestic violence
- Track Palin arrested on domestic violence charges
- Nicki Minaj opens up about domestic violence
- NFL player faces domestic violence charge
- Goodell defends NFL on domestic violence
- Trump admin drops asylum protections for domestic violence victims
- Domestic violence bill would allow victims to break lease early