Mom outraged, says 7-year-old daughter's hair was burned at school

"She could have been put up in flames," said Judy Holland after her daughters told her a boy in the lunch line at Nob...

Posted: Feb. 9, 2018 7:29 PM
Updated: Feb. 9, 2018 7:29 PM

"She could have been put up in flames," said Judy Holland after her daughters told her a boy in the lunch line at Noble Elementary in Detroit set her 7-year-old hair on fire, then blew it out.

Singed and broken off hair were clearly visible on Mikaela, a first grader at Noble. Mikaela's 5-year-old sister is in kindergarten at the same school, and Holland says it was her younger daughter who witnessed the boy put the lighter to her sister's hair.

Holland says when the two girls went to a school worker to see if they could call her, they were told to sit down for lunch.

A spokesperson for the Detroit Public Schools Community District says they have not found any evidence of what's being alleged, but that they are still investigating and looking at surveillance video.

"I want to know why a child had a lighter," said Holland who also questioned other children in the school. She says other children identified a second grader as the young boy responsible.

Holland fears what might have happened if she put gel or some kind of hair product in her daughter's hair Wednesday morning.

"My baby could have third degree burns right now," said Holland. "I don't want this to happen to any other kid."

Article Comments

Mason City
Broken Clouds
30° wxIcon
Hi: 29° Lo: 20°
Feels Like: 21°
Albert Lea
Overcast
34° wxIcon
Hi: 27° Lo: 19°
Feels Like: 29°
Austin
Overcast
32° wxIcon
Hi: 27° Lo: 18°
Feels Like: 26°
Charles City
Few Clouds
25° wxIcon
Hi: 27° Lo: 20°
Feels Like: 16°
Rochester
Overcast
28° wxIcon
Hi: 25° Lo: 18°
Feels Like: 21°
We're tracking easy going traveling heading to Thanksgiving
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Big announcement for downtown project

Image

Utility rate changes

Image

Change in Mason City firework ordinance

Image

Interfaith service

Image

Basement fire in southeast Rochester home

Image

Thanksgiving meals for those in need

Image

Meeting the candidates

Image

Diocese bankruptcy filing

Image

Students learning life skills through business

Image

Switching to Paper Gift Cards

Community Events