BREAKING NEWS Coronavirus death total in Minnesota at 24; Olmsted County with 88 positive tests Full Story
BREAKING NEWS Iowa reports 3 more coronavirus-related deaths, total at 14 Full Story
CLOSINGS: View Closings

Survivor of propane explosion: 'I'm pretty darn lucky'

Nearly one month after an explosion that left a contractor with severe burns in Richfield Township, he is out of the ...

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 6:14 AM
Updated: Feb 8, 2018 6:14 AM

Nearly one month after an explosion that left a contractor with severe burns in Richfield Township, he is out of the hospital and grateful to be alive.

Eric Bujak was trying to light a propane heater, when his life changed forever.

Tuesday night, Bujak talked about what happened in the basement of a home under construction on Sunrise Lane at the job site he was overseeing.

"It sounded like somebody threw a gas can in a flame and it just kind of whoosh," Bujak said, describing the sound of the initial explosion on Jan. 9.

"I could see like the flames in the background, which is why I dropped, stopped breathing, closed my eyes," he said.

Bujak, a U.S. Army veteran who served in Iraq, said his military training paid off. He instinctively threw himself down on the ground, covering his head to protect his face with the hood of his jacket.

"There was a second explosion, which obviously was a lot louder," Bujak said. "That one hurt a whole lot more. Knew I really had to get out of there."

Hearing the explosions, homeowner Ed Strange ran outside that night to try and help. He saw Bujak coming out of the house with his back ablaze.

"We were like, 'Hey you're on fire, you're on fire, we need to get you out,'" Strange said that evening. "So we got him to lay down on the snow with us."

Strange remarked that Bujak remained calm throughout the ordeal and called him "one of the toughest men I've ever seen."

Bujak remembers an eerie sound when he hit the snow.

"I just laid down, heard it sizzle, I was like, 'That's not good,'" he said.

First responders believe a propane leak caused the explosions.

Bujak said he smelled the propane, but ventilated the area for hours. The smell was gone when he thought it was safe to light the heater.

He ended up spending 23 days in the burn unit at Hurley Medical Center, undergoing five skin graft surgeries after suffering third-degree burns on up to 50 percent of his body.

"The skin graft was definitely, by far, the most painful one that I've endured," Bujak said. "The initial injury didn't hurt half as bad."

He was released from the hospital on Feb. 2, the date of his 10-year wedding anniversary. He celebrated by eating rainbow sherbet.

"Looking back on it, I think I'm pretty damn lucky," Bujak said.

He credits his remarkable recovery to the support of family and friends.

"There's three little girls running around, that's what gets you through," he said.

His advice for others facing challenges?

"Be strong, have faith, and fight, that's the only thing I can tell you is fight," Bujak said.

Article Comments

Mason City
Clear
27° wxIcon
Hi: 47° Lo: 27°
Feels Like: 19°
Albert Lea
Clear
25° wxIcon
Hi: 44° Lo: 27°
Feels Like: 18°
Austin
Clear
28° wxIcon
Hi: 47° Lo: 27°
Feels Like: 21°
Charles City
Scattered Clouds
28° wxIcon
Hi: 47° Lo: 27°
Feels Like: 18°
Rochester
Clear
26° wxIcon
Hi: 44° Lo: 24°
Feels Like: 18°
Lovely weekend ahead
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Coronas Tacos Undaunted by Name

Image

FEMA suggests only buying groceries for a week

Image

Rochester Fire Department using PPE

Image

Takeout liquor is just a call away in Iowa

Image

A closer look at the CDC recommendation to wear a mask

Image

Stewartville first responder suspension

Image

Chris' PM Weather Forecast

Image

Shopping for groceries the smart way

Image

How often should you be visiting the grocery store?

Image

Gov. Walz Gives Update on Food Supply

Community Events