INDICE DE GALERIAS
WINDSOR, Vt. (AP) — A pile of goat manure spontaneously caught fire, spreading stench and wrinkling noses through a Vermont town but causing no damage, officials said.
The odor evoked “a damp kind of burning leaves or brush fire,” Windsor Town Manager Tom Marsh said.
A worker on her way to milk goats discovered the fire in the 120-cubic-yard manure pile around 3 a.m. Wednesday, said George Redick, owner of the 800-goat Oak Knoll Dairy. He and others put out the flames with water from a hose but the pile continued to smolder. He planned to call the fire department later in the morning, but firefighters were already searching for the source of the smell by 6:30 a.m.
Marsh said he could smell the fire at his hilltop home five miles away. He called it “a little disconcerting, because it was a very strong smell.”
Redick says the manure would typically have been spread around the farm earlier in the year, but the rainy season and other factors kept that from happening.
He said he used to think spontaneous combustion was make-believe.
“Now I’m a believer,” he said.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
On Friday December 6th, deer hunting season kicked off in Iowa for bow hunters and shotgun season opened up the following day.
December is a month involving lots of celebrations, but as folks take part in pre-holiday parties and the Christmas holiday, it's important to remember to be safe.
The Mitchell County courthouse is going to see some big changes coming up in the next couple of months, but there are already changes happening on the grounds.
It has been said before; if you want better food, buy local.
An area city has made it a point to improve their customer service and more and now they are being recognized.
A hearing being held today could change the course of an area murder trial.
An ordinance violation has 13 dogs being moved to the Humane Society of Freeborn County.