INDICE DE GALERIAS
AUSTIN, Minn. -- Some area residents are without a home after an early morning fire in Austin.
Fire crews were called to an electrical fire at an apartment complex at 805 4th St. NW around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday.
A couple in a third floor unit called 911 after they noticed smoke.
"They had smoke detectors, but they were not working. One of them busted a window, thinking they would go out that way, ended up not coming out that way, going through the fire and getting out. So they're lucky to be alive," said Commander Terry Petersen of the Austin Fire Department.
Crews say the blaze was able to be put out quickly, but families are being helped by the Freeborn-Mower Chapter of the American Red Cross because of electrical concerns.
"We couldn't isolate just that apartment, so we didn't want to let anybody or everybody go back to their apartments. There was no smoke damage or water damage in any of the other apartments; it's just that we didn't want to let anybody go back in there with putting the power on," Petersen said.
He says most residents should be able to return home sometime this week. The unit where the fire started will have to be remodeled.
Pastor Will and his wife Joyce Hunsaker are well-known in their church for being there for others, especially in times of grief.
A white male in his 30s has been knocking on the doors of elderly women trying to get in.
While it might be fun to decorate your home for the holidays with lights and festive decor, it can come at a price and not just the price you pay for the decorations.
It's only partially what was asked for, but an Iowa healthcare proposal is still getting the okay from the federal government.
Lawmakers are now saying an agreement on the farm bill will likely come in January, after winter storms caused delays.
Fire officials believe a wood burning heater may be to blame for a fire that engulfed an area shed.
The West Hancock after school 4-H club donated hand made holiday decor to the Britt Hospital.
North Iowa Area Community College has added a new position to their staff; a bilingual advisor for incoming students