INDICE DE GALERIAS
MANILA, Philippines (AP) — At least six communist guerrillas and a government militiaman were killed in a clash following a rebel attack early Friday on a militia outpost in the southern Philippines, the military said.
About 40 New People’s Army guerrillas attacked the militia detachment in Agusan del Sur province’s Sibagat township, said Maj. Leo Bongosia, spokesman for the army’s 4th Infantry Division. One soldier also was wounded, he said.
It was the biggest battle loss for the rebels after a senior regional Communist Party leader and seven other guerrillas were killed in an army attack two weeks earlier in Sorsogon province southeast of Manila.
Bongosia said two military helicopter gunships provided fire support to army reinforcements during the five-hour gunbattle that ensued before the rebels withdrew.
The 44-year-old insurgency is one of Asia’s longest-running. Talks to end rural-based Maoist insurgency collapsed two years ago after the two sides disagreed over the release of jailed communist leaders. Recent efforts to revive the talks brokered by Norway failed after the rebels rejected an immediate cease-fire.
The rebels the Philippine government of subservience to U.S. interests and failing to improve the lives of the poor. The outlawed communist party and its armed wing are listed as terrorist organizations by the U.S. and European Union.
Chief of staff Gen. Emmanuel Bautista last week said the military is on track of meeting a target to eradicate the insurgency by 2016.
He said battle setbacks and surrenders had reduced the number of guerrillas by more than 300 so far this year, leaving the insurgents with just over 4,000 armed fighters, down from its peak strength of about 25,000 in the mid-1980s. Bautista acknowledged the Maoist rebels remain a major security threat and have intensified attacks in recent months in the country’s southeastern region.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
The holiday spirit is being felt in southern Minnesota.
The different weather conditions has the Minnesota DNR urging people to not let their guard down when hitting the ice.
When the temps start dropping, going outside to start your car a few minutes before you have to leave becomes a winter routine.
A local housing trust fund is receiving some grant money that will go into a new project to provide housing for people with disabilities.
The unemployment rate for the country dropped again and experts say it's reflecting locally as well.
The Kensett man faced vehicular homicide charges.
We're expecting frigid conditions throughout the rest of the week but one group in Floyd County is helping to bring energy efficient heating to families in need.
People were strapping on their fun Christmas gear and getting ready to run or walk to celebrate the 18th annual Festival of Trees.