AUSTIN, Minn. - It is the outcome everyone was hoping for. 72 year old Dennis Hanson was found alive after he had been missing since Monday morning.
After extensive searches that turned up nothing, authorities decided to go back to the beginning and do another search of Hanson's home on Thursday. A little before 5:00pm on Thursday, officers found Hanson hiding behind a couch in his basement. It is not known if he had been there the entire time he was missing.
All week long, law enforcement and dozens of members of the community had been searching for Hanson around the clock.
"We are very happy with the outcome and very pleased with the outpouring of support we got from the community, family and friends that were interested in finding Mr. Hanson and we are very pleased that he is alright," said Austin Police Chief Brian Krueger.
Hanson's wife, Anne, has written an open letter to the community and everyone who helped look for her husband. It sheds some light on what happened:
It is with humble and grateful hearts that we, Dennis Hanson’s loving family, come back to our community to express the most sincere thanks that anyone could ever have.
It was God’s leading all who involved themselves in this massive search and His protection that brought Dennis back to us alive and willing to receive the intensive medical attention to relieve the burdens that prompted this desperate attempt for peace of mind.
It is our hope that everyone will have a renewed awareness of the magnitude a “little down in the dumps” can have on the human mind. Depression is very real and not a choice.
Dennis is but just one in our small space on Earth, who at this moment is dealing with thoughts and actions of this nature. Let us all remember how a community working together with such vigor can be a very real help to humanity. Treating our brothers and sisters with understanding and kindness is a huge part in their total care and recovery.
May God richly bless everyone who had made this blessed outcome a reality for the most grateful family on the face of the Earth!
- Update: More details on what led to officers finding Dennis Hanson
- Family of Dennis Hanson releases letter to public
- Man pleads guilty to threats that led to school lockdown
- Are LED stop signs the way to curb accidents?
- North Iowa arrests led to federal guilty pleas
- Dayton rejects 2 biggest bills passed by GOP-led Legislature
- President Trump details his national security strategy
- Details emerge about Iowa lawmaker's arrest
- UPDATE: More details on son charged with murder of mother in Austin
- UPDATE: New details on North Iowa man killed in crane accident