MASON CITY, Iowa - A Mason City gun store is asking for the public's help in identifying a driver who backed into the shop building several times before driving away.
During the overnight hours of September 2-3, a driver backed his car into the south side of Hart Brothers Weaponry before driving off, which was all caught on camera.
The store's exterior, including brick hidden underneath tin siding, was damaged, as well as part of a steel door.
"It's just super frustrating that we would try hard to keep the interior of the building looking good, we try hard to keep the exterior of the building looking good," store owner Kemlin Hart said.
He adds that the door may have helped prevent further damage.
"I think the thing that saved us was the steel door. I think if that would've been a regular construction, wood door, wood doorframe, I think that car would've been parked in my showroom. I really do think that saved us from having a huge amount of liability that night."
Hart says that he does not yet have a total price estimate as to how much it would be to repair the damage, but knows it isn't going to be cheap.
"That's the last thing I wanted us to have. Siding right in the middle of the building looking like something that I've repaired to make just nice enough to work versus what we strived to get and stuff that actually looks nice."
Hart has turned the camera footage over to Mason City Police, who are still investigating the incident.
- Mason City store hopes video helps solve hit and run (with surveillance video)
- Surveillance video captures vehicle vs. bike collision in Mason City
- Drone video captures flooding in Mason City
- Surveillance video released of Lois Riess before alleged murder
- Bicyclist hit by truck in Mason City
- Truck hits light pole in Mason City
- Using social media to help solve crimes
- Buckle to relocate Mason City store to new location
- Police led to hit and run suspect by Mason City pawn shop
- Reward offered for information leading to arrest of Lois Riess (with new surveillance video)