By STEVE REED
AP Sports Writer
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Jonathan Stewart ran for 103 yards and three touchdowns, and the Carolina Panthers snapped the Minnesota Vikings' eight-game winning streak with a 31-24 victory Sunday. Cam Newton threw for 137 yards and a touchdown and ran for 75 yards as the Panthers (9-4) racked up 216 yards on the ground against the league's No. 2 ranked defense to pull even with the Saints atop the NFC South standings.
Carolina sacked Case Keenum six times and forced three turnovers to keep the Vikings (10-3) from clinching the NFC North division title. After the Panthers squandered an 11-point fourth quarter lead, Newton broke free of the pocket and raced 62 yards for a key first down with 2 minutes remaining.
Stewart scored his career-high third TD when he jumped over the line of scrimmage, reaching the ball across the goal line for a 31-24 lead. Minnesota couldn't manage a first down on its final drive and turned the ball over on downs. The Panthers seemed in control midway through the fourth quarter leading 24-13 after Newton made an off-balance throw to Devin Funchess for an 18-yard touchdown, and Mario Addison's strip-sack set up Graham Gano's field goal.
But the Vikings came charging back to tie it as Keenum hooked up on a 52-yard scoring strike on a crossing route. Blake Bell added 2-point conversion catch to cut the lead to three. On Carolina's next possession, Vikings safety Andrew Sendejo intercepted Newton on a ball that sailed off the hands of Christian McCaffrey and returned it to the Carolina 6.
But Carolina's defense had a huge stop, holding the Vikings to a field goal leaving the game tied with 3:07 left.
Vikings: Linebacker Emmanuel Lamur left game with a foot injury and did not return.
Panthers: Tight end Greg Olsen left briefly after re-injuring his foot, but did return.
Vikings: Host the Bengals next Sunday.
Panthers: Host the Packers next Sunday.
- Stewart runs for 3 TDs, Panthers beat Vikings 31-24
- Stunner: Keenum-Diggs TD on last play; Vikes win 29-24
- Vikings sign Sheldon Richardson
- 2018 Minnesota Vikings schedule
- Eagles flatten Vikings in NFC Championship game
- Vikings emphasize athleticism at 2018 NFL draft
- Vikings pivot to Eagles, after big break to beat Saints (with photo gallery from Sunday)
- Local kids reacts to Black Panther movie
- Blade (1998) vs. Black Panther (2018)
- 'Black Panther' roars again at box office