ALBERT LEA, Minn. – Six Austin teenagers went to the hospital after a single-vehicle crash in Freeborn County on Saturday.
The Sheriff’s Office says the pickup truck went into the ditch on 195th Street, just west of the Mower County line, around 8 pm. The driver, 17-year-old Daniel Nelson, was taken by ambulance to Mayo Clinic Health System in Austin with a swollen left eye and several cuts. Five passengers in the truck were taken to the hospital by private vehicle. One of the passengers was described as possibly suffering broken bones and a 5-inch cut on the head.
The Freeborn County Sheriff’s Office says Nelson reported driving about 60 miles an hour when a deer ran in front of the truck and Nelson then swerved into the ditch and hit a rock pile or embankment. Nelson told authorities the truck was going about 20 miles an hour when it hit the rocks. Only one person in the truck was reportedly wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash.
The Sheriff’s Office says it does not appear alcohol was a factor in this incident.
- Six Austin teenagers sent to hospital after weekend crash
- One injured in Austin crash
- SUV crashes into Austin backyard
- Man arrested after chase, crash in Austin
- Austin teen hurt in Sunday crash
- Crash sends three to hospital
- SAW: Austin soccer
- Sunday fire in Austin
- SAW: Austin's Tate Hebrink
- Austin sex abuser sentenced