WORTH COUNTY, Iowa – One person is hurt after crashing their semi into an overpass in Worth County.
According to the Iowa State Patrol, a southbound semi driven by Thomas Torkelson, 70 of New Hampton, went into the median on I-35 near mile marker 203 and hit the Highway 9 overpass. Mercy Air Med airlifted Torkelson to Mercy Medical Center North Iowa with unknown injuries. The semi cab looks to be heavily damaged.
About one mile of southbound I-35 was closed down temporarily, one southbound lane was also closed. Traffic was diverted onto Highway 9.
The Iowa DOT did a preliminary investigation into the damage done on the overpass. Iowa State Patrol tells KIMT they found the damage to be superficial and deemed it safe for travel. Their investigation will continue.
KIMT will have more details on this story as it develops.
- UPDATE: Driver injured after semi crashes into overpass
- UPDATE: 4 injured when semi crashes into school in Lyle
- Semi/SUV crash in eastern Olmsted County injures one
- 1 injured in semi crash on Avenue of the Saints
- Charles City semi driver involved in Cedar Falls crash
- UPDATE: One driver cited after semi/SUV crash in Forest City
- Chatfield semi driver in I-90 collision
- UPDATE: Florida man hurt in Olmsted County semi crash
- School bus overturns in crash with semi in Brooksville, six high school students injured
- UPDATE: Semi catches fire in Olmsted County