Scroll for more content...
Court records say 49-year-old John Negrete has pleaded not guilty to assault. His trial is scheduled to begin Dec. 13, but the prosecution is asking for a continuance.
A criminal complaint says Negrete punched the man at least twice in the face on Sept. 22 at the Yankee Clipper. A woman who lives with Negrete, 51-year-old Tereasa Sunberg, also has pleaded not guilty to punching a woman at the bar. Sunberg's trial is scheduled to begin Jan. 8.
Authorities say the two people punched are related.
Negrete has worked more than 20 years for the Sheriff's Office.
- Polk County detective accused of punching man in Ankeny bar
- Ankeny couple charged in the August death of 7-month-old
- Student accused of punching assistant principal
- Principal accused of stalking police detective
- Mason City man accused of punching pregnant woman in stomach
- Man accused of punching a pregnant woman gets no prison time
- Mason City man accused of strangling, punching pregnant woman in the stomach
- Rochester man sentenced for second bar assault
- Man accused of multiple Howard County burglaries
- Floyd County man accused of murder in Jasper County