ALBERT LEA, Minn. - Those like Vicki Lunning living in the Tiger Hills community in Albert Lea say they were shocked when they learned a fire broke out in their neighborhood early Sunday morning.
“To hear one of the neighbors had a catastrophe like that bites at your heart a big,” she said.
“You never want to hear about a fire; it’s always unfortunate,” said Brian Johnson.
Those with the Albert Lea Fire department say it started around 1:30 Sunday morning causing severe damage to the garage. Those with the department estimate around $70 thousand in damages something that surprised Johnson.
“Seems like a lot particularly for a garage fire,” he said. “But it sounds like they caught it before it made it to the house.”
Fire officials say everyone living in the home made it out of the house in time, but fire is something Johnson is no stranger to after having a kitchen fire of his own about a year ago.
“I tried to put it out myself,” he said. “I grabbed the fire extinguisher but unfortunately it was old and wasn’t charged. It was a grease fire so we took it off the burner and it went out on its own, but there was damage to the cabinets.”
Officials say the cause of the fire is still under investigation, but believe it may have been an electrical fire something Lunning says is a scary situation for anyone.
“It’s just a shock,” she said. “If the family needs help I hope they reach out to the neighborhood. Tiger Hills is like a little family. We help each other.
Those with the fire department say the state fire marshal was investigating the cause of the fire at around 10 Sunday morning.
- Overnight fire causes $70,000 in property damage
- Overnight barn fire in Rochester causes $30,000 in damage
- Overnight house fire causes significant damage in Freeborn County
- Rochester Fire: Overnight blaze destroys vehicle, badly damages garage
- Man pleads guilty to stalking and property damage.
- Man accused of damaging property at Mercy-North Iowa
- Alden home damaged by fire
- Church destroyed in overnight fire Monday
- Trailer home fire causes $25,000 in damage
- Fire damages house just outside Albert Lea