Photo Gallery 1 Images
CRESCO, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say a man suspected of killing a woman in northern Iowa has been taken into custody, ending his standoff with officers.
Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation spokesman Mitch Mortvedt said Thursday that an Iowa State Patrol SWAT team sent to the Cresco home overnight negotiated a peaceful surrender.
Mortvedt wasn't sure how long the man had kept officers at bay, nor could he say whether any shots had been exchanged.
CRESCO MAN ARRESTED FOR KILLING WIFE
KIMT reporter Annalisa Pardo was on the scene and spoke with authorities, who said they responded to a report of shots fired and a negotiation began through the Iowa State Patrol. A body was found inside the trailer and authorities do have the weapon in their possession. The suspect, whose name hasn't been released, is being held in the Winneshiek County Jail.
Cresco Police Chief Tim Ruroden said the department responded at 1:30 a.m. for a report of shots fired at 700 S. Elm St. Police say the subject was taken into custody around 6 a.m. without incident before discovering the deceased female inside.
Names of subjects involved are not being released at this time pending the notification of relatives.
The Howard County Sheriff's Office said just after 9 a.m. that the threat had ended. Law enforcement had asked local schools to delay the start of classes two hours as a safety measure. Police say they requested a late start for Howard-Winneshiek schools because the location is near some bus stops.
Mortvedt says he can't yet release any names or provide other details.
The Cresco Police Department, Howard County Sheriff's Office, Iowa STate Patrol, assisted with this incident.
- 1 in custody after standoff, 1 dead after Cresco shooting
- Trial scheduled for Cresco killing
- One dead in California supermarket standoff
- Deferred judgment for Cresco tire slasher
- Golden Apple Award: Megan Merkel from Cresco
- Cresco men collide in Winneshiek County
- Arrest made in Cresco SUV theft
- Cresco driver cited for January auto accident
- Trial set in Cresco car theft
- Cresco woman accused of embezzling over $20,000