MASON CITY, Iowa – Mercy Medical Center – North Iowa says it has been honored for its standard of care for stroke victims.
The hospital says it has earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Heart-Check mark for Advanced Certification for Comprehensive Stroke Centers. To be eligible for these awards, Mercy says it had to demonstrate compliance with stroke-related standards as a Primary Stroke Center and meet additional requirements, including those related to advanced imaging capabilities, 24/7 availability of specialized treatments, and providing staff with the unique education and competencies to care for complex stroke patients.
"By achieving this advanced certification, Mercy – North Iowa has thoroughly demonstrated the greatest level of commitment to the care of its patients with a complex stroke condition,” says Dr. Mark R. Chassin, president and CEO of The Joint Commission. “Certification is a voluntary process and The Joint Commission commends Mercy – North Iowa for successfully undertaking this challenge to elevate the standard of its care for the community it serves.”
The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association says stroke is the number five cause of death and a leading cause of adult disability in the United States, with someone suffering a stroke an average of every 40 seconds and someone dying of a stroke every four minutes.
“Mercy – North Iowa is pleased to receive advanced certification from The Joint Commission and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association,” said Jennifer Thoe, Stroke Coordinator at Mercy. “The certification provides us with the framework to create a culture of excellence.”
- Mercy-North Iowa recognized for high standards in stroke care
- Iowa fine arts standards changing
- 3D Mammogram machine comes to Mercy Medical Center-North Iowa
- Man arrested in "security issue" at Mercy - North Iowa
- Man accused of damaging property at Mercy-North Iowa
- 3 Mercy-North Iowa nurses named to list of 100 Great Iowa nurses
- Study says Mercy means over a quarter-billion to North Iowa economy
- 1 transported by Mercy Air Med after north Iowa motorcycle vs. tractor accident
- Mercy Medical Center-North Iowa to make safety changes to ER
- Man arrested in connection to Mercy-North Iowa threat said he 'was going to the hospital to shoot'