IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — Charges have been filed against an Iowa City woman who told police she drank several cans of beer one day last October before providing day care to an infant who died later that day.
Court records say 49-year-old Wendy Young is charged with neglect or abandonment of a dependent person. Her attorney didn't immediately return a call Friday from The Associated Press. Young's next court date is April 30.
Officers called to Young's home Oct. 18 found the child unresponsive. The infant was pronounced dead later at a hospital.
The records say Young acknowledged drinking 10 to 12 cans of beer before the child arrived. Police say Young still had alcohol in her system eight hours after she started watching the child.
Authorities haven't provided more information about the child.
- Iowa day care provider says she'd been drinking the day baby died
- Minnesota day care provider accused of killing infant girl
- Volunteers provide food, care in wake of Iowa tornadoes
- Court documents: 'Failure to provide critical care' reason for Chickasaw Co. baby death
- Examiner says Iowa baby likely died of 'positional asphyxia'
- Veterans Day celebrations in North Iowa
- Deadly Christmas Day fire in eastern Iowa
- Iowa faces foster care home shortage
- Day care owner pleads guilty to hanging toddler
- Binge drinking by the numbers