IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — Charges have been filed against an Iowa City woman who told police she drank several cans of beer one day last October before providing day care to an infant who died later that day.
Court records say 49-year-old Wendy Young is charged with neglect or abandonment of a dependent person. Her attorney didn't immediately return a call Friday from The Associated Press. Young's next court date is April 30.
Officers called to Young's home Oct. 18 found the child unresponsive. The infant was pronounced dead later at a hospital.
The records say Young acknowledged drinking 10 to 12 cans of beer before the child arrived. Police say Young still had alcohol in her system eight hours after she started watching the child.
Authorities haven't provided more information about the child.
- Iowa day care provider says she'd been drinking the day baby died
- Day care provider broke infant's legs, police say
- Court documents: 'Failure to provide critical care' reason for Chickasaw Co. baby death
- Examiner says Iowa baby likely died of 'positional asphyxia'
- DCF investigating after photos show babies bound in sleep sacks with hair ties at day care
- Prosecutor: No charges to be filed in Baby Jesse injuries at day care
- Veterans Day celebrations in North Iowa
- Deadly Christmas Day fire in eastern Iowa
- Humboldt Broncos trainer dies days after crash
- Iowa faces foster care home shortage