FORT DODGE, Iowa (AP) — Authorities are investigating what led to a fatal exchange of gunfire between an Iowa State Trooper and a man along a rural road west of Fort Dodge.
The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation says a state trooper found a man and woman arguing near a vehicle near Moorland, Iowa, on Sunday. The man pointed a handgun at the trooper and the two exchanged gunfire, killing the man.
The identity of the man wasn't immediately released Sunday.
Authorities say the man had fired several shots into his own vehicle before the trooper arrived.
- Iowa State Trooper kills man who fired on him along highway near Fort Dodge
- Natural gas explosion in Fort Dodge
- Investigation into death at Fort Dodge plant
- Fort Dodge man pleads not guilty to sex abuse in North Iowa
- Man sought after kayak flipped in Fort Dodge river
- UPDATE: Company comments on Forest City man killed in Fort Dodge construction accident
- Motorcycle rider killed in Dodge County
- Prosecutor says Iowa trooper's shooting of man justified
- Tankers filled with ethanol derail near Fort Dodge
- Northwood-Kensett superintendent in running for Fort Dodge job