BREAKING NEWS: Worth County child, 4, and father dead after kayaking accident Full Story

Guests evacuated for more than an hour during hotel fire in Albert Lea

Albert Lea authorities say a light fixture was to blame for a fire Thursday night at Best Western Plus at 821 Plaza St.

Posted: Feb. 2, 2018 8:36 AM
Updated: Feb. 2, 2018 10:10 AM
ALBERT LEA, Minn. – Albert Lea authorities say a light fixture was to blame for a fire Thursday night at Best Western Plus at 821 Plaza St.
Authorities responded at 10:11 Thursday night and found light smoke on the first floor and heavy smoke in the east stairwell and second floor.
The fire was located in and contained to a light fixture in the stairwell and law enforcement assisted with the evacuation of guests to the lobby area.
Guests were allowed back in their rooms around 11:15 p.m. The only damage to the structure was to the light fixture and some smoke soot on the walls in the stairwell.
No injuries were reported and the scene was cleared at 11:30 p.m.

Article Comments

Mason City
Overcast
61° wxIcon
Hi: 62° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 61°
Albert Lea
Overcast
57° wxIcon
Hi: 59° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 57°
Austin
Overcast
57° wxIcon
Hi: 58° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 57°
Charles City
Overcast
59° wxIcon
Hi: 60° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 59°
Rochester
Overcast
55° wxIcon
Hi: 56° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 55°
The sunshine and warmer temperatures will return for Tuesday.
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye In The Sky

Community Events